Stetson Bennett, the Georgia quarterback who led the Bulldogs to back-to-back national championships and became one of the best stories in college football, was arrested on Sunday morning.
Bennett was arrested on a public intoxication charge in Dallas around 6 a.m. local time, police confirmed to Fox News Digital. Officers responded to a call about a man “banging on doors” and authorities determined Bennett was intoxicated.
Bennett, 25, was taken to City Detention Center, police said. It’s unclear whether he was released.
The quarterback became a hero for the Bulldogs after leading the team to a blowout victory over TCU in the national championship earlier this month. Georgia coach Kirby Smart gave time for Bennett to get a curtain call in the fourth quarter as they led 52-7.
He wrapped up his collegiate career with two national titles. He also had 8,428 passing yards and 66 touchdown passes in his collegiate career.
The University of Georgia didn’t immediately respond to Fox News Digital’s request for comment.
Bennett’s performance in the 2022 season appeared to increase his draft stock going into the spring event. It’s unclear whether the reported arrest would have an effect on that moving forward.
- The Fox News Channel, abbreviated FNC, commonly known as Fox News, and stylized in all caps, is an American multinational conservative cable news television channel based in New York City. It is owned by Fox News Media, which itself is owned by the Fox Corporation.
- HeadlinesDecember 3, 2023I’m a doctor living with diabetes and I learned 3 key points about the disease and mental health
- HeadlinesDecember 2, 2023Zambian landslide: At least 7 miners killed, 20 missing after copper mine catastrophe
- HeadlinesDecember 2, 2023UN ends political mission in Sudan, where world hasn't been able to stop bloodshed
- HeadlinesDecember 2, 2023Rio Grande buoys installed by Texas ordered to be removed as overwhelmed Arizona border crossing closes